Sunday, January 15, 2012

Now and Then

I wake up every day at 6 AM. One eye open....half asleep....grumbling to myself "Why do I have to wake up so early?! UGH!" I take a warm shower, get ready, eat breakfast, and drive the 20 minutes to work. The day goes on forever. 8 hours seems like an eternity. Depending on the time of year, I may use my lunch break to go vote.

Do we not realize how good we have it these days? I had a friend tell me recently she would love to live my life and my response..."why in the world would you want my life?!" I needed a wake up call. Today at church, the sermon really opened my eyes. We forget everything that has been done in the past 100+ years that allows us to live the way we live now.

Sure, sometimes...things can seem really hard. Women haven't always been allowed to work. For some women that might not seem so bad. For me...I would have been miserable. I want to be the first woman CEO of a company...I would have definitely been frowned upon. 8 hour work days were not always the "norm" either. Sometimes (depending on your class of course) you could work 14-17 hour days. Lets not even get into tattoos. I would have had to have been in the circus with the few tattoos I have.





Shall we not also forget that cars have not always been around either. MapQuest has this option where you can see how long it would take you to walk instead of drive. It would take me 5 hours and 15 minutes to walk to work. Oh how I love my car. :)

Obviously, women have not always been allowed to vote. I really do not think all women realize and take this into consideration when thinking about whether they want to vote. There are women in other countries that were not allowed to vote until a few years ago. MANY women and (some) men fought for us so that we have the right to vote.

There are so many more things that we take for granted every day. Things that have become part of our routine that we may think we dread. Take a moment to realize how good you have it. When  you don't think you have it so good....do some research see how you would have lived in the "class" you are in, if you had been born a couple hundred years sooner.

4 comments:

  1. i love you and your inspirational words of wisdom we have it good even tho we dont think so. im so glad that i met you youre one of very few that i can actually call my best friend - and like you say no matter how long in between our visit we pick up exactly where we left off. I Love You ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I love you too Heathy!!!!!!!!!! I am blessed to have such an amazing friend like you in my life!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica....I VOTE!!!..:) If your 20 minute drive would take you 5 hours to walk, I wonder what my 1 hour commute would take me..:)

      Great post and a great reminder that we all take so much for granted.

      R

      Delete
    2. Ok the above replied to your comment rather than just a comment...I cant figure out how to JUST comment without replying..sorry about that.

      R

      Delete